I think the new car smell is gone. We are now into the meat of the term. We are having a very busy year.
The changes in the departmental organization have disrupted old patterns of behavior and traditional expectations. Any time an organization makes a change it is chaos. It just takes time for things to settle into new patterns of behavior. We have a set of priorities, and I can safely say that we are working through them in order.
I am teaching graduate quantitative methods for the first time in several years. I spent a good deal of the summer working on the course. I like the general structure of the course. I have continued the concept of flipping the class. Students work outside the class on the readings and reviewing the modules for content. Modules are composed of video, pdfs, and Webpages are providing students with alternative delivery methods to see if it enhances learning.
Each module also has an accompanying learning activity that begins outside the classroom and continues in the class.
The module also has a worksheet. The worksheet is normally four to seven questions that require the student to apply the content in the modules or text. They are voluntary but do serve as an excellent resource for study. Hopefully, I will have some data to review the effectiveness of the idea.
One of the interesting items I have found is that I require about 20 to 30% more work than my peers. I suspect that part of it is the result of the larger class sizes at VSU. In the past I taught small groups of students in upper division classes (5 - 10), 24 in the simulation class and less than 12 in graduate classes. It will be interesting to see how long it takes before I adjust.